Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Papa

My Papa, Homer Richard Bish, passed away yesterday evening. He had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks. My father had been out to visit quite a bit in the past few months. Papa took a turn for the worse this past weekend. My dad went out immediately, and my brother, mom, and I drove to Ohio on Monday to visit him.

Although it was an incredibly sad day, it was also a wonderful day. Monday was the last day that he was alert. What a blessing it was to be able to talk with him and kiss him and tell him how much I love him. I'm so thankful to God for that time on Monday.

Papa was a father, a husband to my grandmother who passed away in 1995, a WWII veteran, a golfing buddy, and the best grandfather. But most importantly, more important than all those things, was that he was a Christian. We know that our family will be reunited again. When my friend Renee's brother Aaron passed away last year, she posted some things on her blog that I found comforting, especially this below.

The best part of heaven is that we'll be with our bridegroom, Jesus. Second best? We'll be with our family and friends who know God. That's why, when Christian loved ones die, God tells us not to grieve like those who have no hope, but to comfort and encourage each other by anticipating the ultimate family reunion (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). That's why heaven should mean more to us every time a friend moves there. --In Light of Eternity, p. 9

Please pray for my family, especially my dad and uncle as they grieve and as they make arrangements for Saturday's service.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Revelation 21:4

3 comments:

Melissa and Stan said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Gretch. What a blessing that you got that time with him on Monday. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I love you!

The Hambrick's said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather, bt grateful for the time you had with him. You all are in our prayers. ♥

esther said...

sorry for your loss, gretchen and to your entire family. it was such a good reminder to read the passage from the Bible. will pray for you all.

Counter