Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, February 17, 2012

What a Little Trooper!

Yesterday Spencer had bilateral eye muscle surgery at Shady Grove Hospital. Everything went really well. My parents came down to watch Ryan and Eli so that Kevin and I could both go with Spencer. I wasn't sure how it was going to go with him not being able to have a bottle in the morning. He was allowed to have pedialyte 3 hours before the surgery, so I gave him some a little after 5am.

The doctors were pleased with how everything went. They said he was a perfect angel, and the whole anesthesia process went really well (we weren't with him during that part). When they took us back to see him afterward, he was being held by a nurse and was just coming to. He was crying the saddest, most pathetic cry with his eyes closed. I held him for almost two hours while he cried and slept.

 During the surgery, his eye muscles were detached and re-attached so that they would be looser (and hopefully not cross anymore). He has stiches in his eyelids that will dissolve. The whites of his eyes (on the insides) are bloody, and his tears all day yesterday were bloody (a very strange thing to see!).

Today he seemed back to his normal self. His eyes are still really red, but he has left them alone for the most part. The first picture below is from tonight before bed. His eyes seem pretty straight. I've seen them cross a little, but the doctor was pleased today at the follow up appointment with their alignment. The bottom picture shows just how bad the crossing could get. It wasn't always like that, of course, but there is a big improvement.

There is still a 30% chance he will have to have another procedure in the future, but I'm assuming we won't know that for awhile. For now, I just hope this surgery will help him focus better and help him see his surroundings better. I'm so proud of my little Spencer and so thankful for a successful surgery.




5 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm glad everything went well.

The Neidig Family said...

So happy to hear everything went so well. I've been thinking about you guys since Thursday!

Renee said...

Yay, Spencer! I'm glad he's doing better. It almost made me cry to hear you say you held him for 2 hours while he cried/slept. It's sucky as a parent when you feel helpless and can't make your child feel better. I bet you treasured those 2 hours with your little trooper! :)

Christine said...

He looks great!! it is healing so well.

esther said...

what a strong little fella...so proud of him and parents!

Counter