Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Of course there is drama...

Just when things are progressing along like normal, whammy.

I went in for 2 routine appointments last Thursday- the first was at my OB for my glucose test. Quick in and out and I was off to the perinatologist for my bi-weekly cervix check. Those checks have been going great. This time however, there were some changes. My cervix has shortened considerably from two weeks ago. It's still closed, but there is just 1 cm left.

So they sent me to labor and delivery in the hospital for some monitoring. I hadn't felt any contractions or anything like that, but they wanted to monitor the babies and for any contraction activity. After and hour or so, they had discovered contractions, so I was admitted. I spent Thursday all day until Friday night at the hospital. I was given shots of medicine to slow the contractions. They weren't major- mostly what they called irritability- with one or two larger ones every hour. I'm now on pill form of the medicine.

I also got two shots of steroids to strengthen the babies' lungs in the event they are born prematurely. It was just a precaution, but I'm glad they did it. It matures the babies' lungs to the equivalent of 32 weeks, which can make a world of difference if they are born early.

I was discharged Friday evening and sent home on strict bed rest for the next 2 weeks. I'm allowed to get up to go the bathroom and shower and that's it. I'm not allowed to do anything with Eli. I'm not even allowed to sit.

My parents came down this weekend to help out with Eli. Kevin works most Saturdays- half days- but I can't be home by myself with Eli. I just can't chase after him. So it's been great having them down. I have a little nest made around the couch. It's going to be a long days, that's for sure. There isn't much variety between one side of the couch and the other. The good part is that I am allowed to work from home. So I actually should be able to get a lot done during the week on my work laptop and cell phone. (As long as I can lay down doing it!)

We're hoping that the bedrest will help keep my cervix closed and not go into premature labor. It's super important to get these babies to at least 32 weeks and hopefully longer.

So if anyone wants to visit, I'll be here. Right here on the couch. If you don't see me on one side, I'm on the other.

1 comment:

Renee said...

You poor gal! One word. Bigprank.

Counter