Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, July 8, 2011

Nursery Update and DIY artwork

So the boys' nursery isn't complete. I started it during my bedrest time- the idea part at least. Here's how that went. I decided on a paint color- gray- and I knew I wanted a white horizontal stripe in the room. My color scheme in my mind was gray, white, and mustard yellow. I ordered yellow and white stripe fabric online and my dad came down and painted the room for us. It turned out that the color gray I picked had a bit of a bluish tint to it. So the gray accessories and gray and white polka dotted fabric I wanted didn't look right with it. The yellow and white fabric arrived while I was in the hospital. The yellow was a bit more "citrus" than "mustard." Hmm. This wasn't turning out the way I thought it was going to. I decided to change the color scheme to grayish-blue, white, navy, and citrus yellow.

My first project in the room was a pelmet window treatment. I wanted vertical stripes, but the fabric arrived with the stripes going the other way and there it wasn't long enough to have vertical stripes without cutting, etc. I found an online tutorial and used foam board. I wanted something inexpensive that I wouldn't feel bad about changing in a couple years. Kevin put it up over the sheers and I like how it turned out.

I also made a DIY crib skirt from fabric I got on sale at Joann Fabric. It's navy and white circle print. I still have to make the one for the other crib, but that crib is still in our bedroom. The boys aren't sleeping in the nursery yet, so we still have the queen size bed in there for guests.

After that, I did a little mod podge project with some cardboard letters, navy paint, and some leftover fabric.

I also repurposed a lamp shade that I used in Eli's nursey. The shade was white with a green stripe at the bottom. I repainted that stripe navy and added a yellow ribbon.

I used the same navy and white fabric to recover the light blue cushions on the rocker.

And lastly, I just finished some artwork for the room. I couldn't find anything that I liked for a reasonable price. Plus I wanted something pretty big. I have plans to do some picture/shelves/letters thing for another wall. So I found some inspiration here. (Check out the price for a 28 x 28!) I didn't want a transportation/car themed artwork, but I liked the idea of it. So I decided to do my own canvas again. I let Kevin pick between whales and elephants ( I needed to keep it simple since I'm not gifted whatsoever in the art dept). He picked elephants. I bought a 24in by 24 in canvas at Joann Fabric for $12 when it went on sale. I thought I could knock it out in the short breaks I got over the course of a weekend. That didn't happen. My left brain wouldn't let me just start painting. I carefully measured out every space and the border. I had everything measured out to the 16th of an inch. I realize that it was a little much, but I can't help it. I kind of wish I hadn't left a border, but since it was all measured out, it had to stay. After putting on the second coat of paint last night and doing touch ups today, it's done! Instead of making one elephant in the middle different, I picked two- one for Ryan and one for Spencer.

So here is the finished product. It's 2 feet by 2 feet.


It's not hung up yet, but I wanted to show it with the lamp and pelmet box.

Here are the letters that will go on some shelves. I won't hang anything until we moved the big bed out and other crib in. That will probably happen sometime within a month.


The crib skirt is adjustable as the crib mattress moves lower and lower. It will eventually be just a couple inches long when the crib is fully lowered.
So I know it's not fancy and it's certainly not finished. But I haven't had to spend much money at all. I have a small bookcase to move into the space as well. It needs to be painted white first. I'll post more of the finished product soon!

No comments:

Counter